Gastech Engine & Equipment have developed a series of engine platforms that now puts Gastech at the forefront of gas vehicle technology on a global scale.
Our main priority is to provide our clients with engine technologies that enable them to convert to environmentally friendly alternative fuels at minimal costs combined with realistic financial payback outcomes.
Heavy-Duty Vehicle (HDV) Engine Technologies
Gastech E & E have developed HDV gas engine technologies that can operate on either compressed natural gas (CNG) or liquefied natural gas (LNG).
We term this technology “Diesel Ignition Technology” which is a dual fuel multi port electronic sequential injection technology that operates on a small amount of diesel for combustion ignition followed by natural gas in the form of either CNG or LNG.
Gastech are achieving diesel substitution rates with their natural gas technologies in the ranges of 80% to 95% on their engine dynamometer facility and road testing programs.Some of the main advantages of this technology are:
- Can operate in dual fuel mode with same power and torque characteristics displayed by the diesel-powered engine.
- No de-rating of engine horsepower in gas mode.
- Seamless change back to 100% diesel without the loss of power or torque.
- Capable of converting most diesel capacity engine ranges.
- Full ECU control by Gastech’s engine management system.
For the smaller diesel engine ranges, Gastech has developed dedicated multiport fuelling technologies with lean-burn, spark-ignition combustion (100% gas) kits.
Our lean-burn technology offers power and torque equal to the base diesel engine with the added advantage of low emissions, acceptable combustion temperatures and high efficiency.Automotive Fuel Technology:
Gastech E & E can convert petrol engines to operate on “bi-fuels” or dedicated gas operation (LPG, CNG) using our multi port electronically controlled fuel injection with no loss of power or engine efficiency.Gastech E&E Electronic Gas Engine
The electronic engine management system has many features found in new premium diesel engine control systems. These features include:
- Tamper proof operation with built-in diagnostic package
- Engine protection from over-speed, over-temperature, fuel composition shift, over fuelling
- Idle speed governing (especially important for vehicles with high accessory loading)
- Max speed governing
- Closed loop fuel control
- Temperature compensation for fuel and charge air
- Cold start compensation for idle speed and mixture control
- Max speed governing
- Able to operate in high ambient temperature
Emissions in a controlled engine environment are managed by the design of the engine map. According to the desired levels of resultant emissions, the precise level of emissions is set to be achieved in an operational environment. By way of example the following are achieved in current markets.Read More
Ancillary ServicesRead More
- Combustion efficiency rather than exhaust catalytic after treatment is the primary means to control tailpipe emissions. Approximately 40% excess air is supplied to the combustion chamber in the lean-burn system. Unburned hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) are oxidised. Abundant oxygen is available for combustion. The additional air also reduces peak combustion temperatures lowering the formation rate of oxides of nitrogen (NOx).
- Simultaneous reduction of HC and NOx while maintaining high efficiency with good knock margin requires careful development of the entire combustion system. Optimization of compression ratio, turbo boost control, air/fuel ratio, ignition timing, and combustion chamber shape are critical to successful operation of the engine. Fine tuning for good starting.
- Oil consumption control is also critical since unburned lube oil contributes to exhaust particulate emissions. Most diesel engines are not designed to reduce oil consumption under intake vacuum conditions. This occurs with throttled engines during idle and deceleration. Redesign of the piston ring pack and the addition of suitable intake valve seals are normally required.
- The cylinder heads are machined for spark plug installation. Premium exhaust valves and seat materials are used for long life under gaseous – fuelled operation. Valve covers are modified as necessary for spark plug and ignition wire installation. We offer both fully electronic and manual fuel and ignition systems depending on customer requests, engine type and application.